[lug] sendmail hell

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 27 13:01:09 MDT 2001

John, the fact that your ISP sends your outgoing e-mails to the bit bucket is very odd.  Rather than resorting to sending directly from your dial-up box (and all the associated headaches of maintaining a mail queue), I would hassle your ISP until they provide you with a working relay.

Back to your original question, have you tried to troubleshoot using 'sendmail -v recipient at yahoo.com'?  Type some text and hit Ctrl-D to send and get verbose output.  That may reveal what's holding up the transaction.

-John

John Karns wrote:

> I have some questions about the behemoth known as sendmail.  Any comments
> will *greatly* appreciated!
>
> What compelled me to write this msg is my current problem in sending mail
> to yahoo recipients.  Sendmail just sits there indefinitely, hanging the
> queue until I abort the send, and move the yahoo msgs from
> /var/spool/mqueue out of the way into another dir so that I can get the
> rest of my mail out.  Checking the mail and system logs doesn't give me
> any clue as to what the problem is, although I suspect that it may be
> related to identd.  I've dealt with the problem by relaying my mail to the
> ISP here which was working fine for some time, but as of the past week or
> so, they seem to be dumping it to /dev/null - and I receive no
> notification from sendmail that it's being rejected, so I'm back to the
> direct connection approach.
>
> Since my 'net connection is strictly dialup, I don't currently have a
> firewall set up, and will probably avoid more complication until I get
> these kinds of issues solved.  In case it's relevant, my hosts.deny is ALL
> :  ALL, and hosts.allow looks like:
>
> ALL : localhost
> ALL : 192.168.1.
>
> I added the localhost entry in response to the problem of not being able
> to receive *any* mail.  From my mail log:
>
> Jun 10 20:56:14 jkInsp8000 sendmail[1210]: f5B1uCj01210:
> from=<wsp361cSf at china.c
>
> Jun 10 20:56:15 jkInsp8000 sendmail[1211]:
> f5B1uCj01210: to=<jkarns at localhost>,
>
> which indicates that sendmail is sending to my_user_id at localhost, so
> adding that line to hosts.allow "fixed" that.
>
> Efforts to convert to postfix have not been successful, and qmail is not
> an option as it requires DNS and I don't feel a need to run it as yet.
>
> Suggestions (please!) anyone?

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |