[lug] logs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jul 30 00:53:17 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:49:27AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>Don't forget that if you use UDP, and the firewall is breached, you will
>lose the second machine if it is not also maintained with very good

How so?  I'm not aware of any exploits against current syslogd versions, so
allowing the server to send packets to the UDP port used by syslogd on the
client shouldn't allow remote compromise.  Sure they could dump a bunch of
stuff to your local syslog, but at least you won't lose the record of the
compromise.

I must have misunderstood what you were saying...

Sean
--
 Let's just say that your monkeys aren't quite typing Shakespeare.
   -- Sean Reifschneider, speaking about Quicken support, 2001