[lug] Covad and IDSL

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 08:13:23 MDT 2001

I have trouble believing that you *have* to run their software to get set up
(unless, of course, you're dealing with AOL).  You should be able to get the
network settings from your ISP and go from there.  Basically, if you are given a
router with an ethernet connection, it shouldn't matter what OS you run.

Just because an ISP doesn't support Linux doesn't necessarily mean that you
can't do it--usually it means that calling tech support is a bigger waste of
time than it would normally be.

Unless Covad has made changes that I am unaware of, Covad is not an ISP.  They
simply provide the DSL, then it is up to an ISP to actually connect you to the
internet (give you the IP address, etc).  Can someone explain this better than
I can.

You may also want to try http://www.dslreports.com, if you haven't already.

Dhruva