[lug] Covad and IDSL

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Jul 30 09:11:18 MDT 2001

I have Covad IDSL powering a heterogeneous system consisting of a Linux
(RH6.0) firewall/router/masq, a Linux (Mdk7.2) file server, and several
Win32 boxes.

As far as customer service, I am not talking direct to Covad but to an ISP
(Hostpro formerly micron.net) that resells Covad. So YMMV. Although at
first the customer service people seemed to be saying "don't tell us you
have Linux or we can't support you" in recent months they seem to be fine
with Linux. However, I have had VERY few requests for linux-specific help
e.g. setting up files and protocols. All of my problems have been with raw
connectivity. So I can call them up and say look, I can't traceroute to you
and here's where it's hung, and they are pretty cool. Occasionally you get
some chowderhead who wants to go through the entire troubleshooting
flowchart "did you power off and power on again?" nonsense but you can
usually get someone else.

It is true that the terminal-adapter configuration program runs only on
Win32. That wasn't a big problem for me -- I have a few Win32 boxes but in
fact the only time I actually tried to change the configuration from what
the Covad guy set up, I bungled it bad 8-}

The BIG problem I've had with this service is connection reliability.
Because I am really at the bleeding edge of the physical service area, and
because my neighborhood has very few good pairs left, I'm down once or
twice a month sometimes for as much as a day. Mostly this is a Qwest/Covad
problem. There have been growing pains at my ISP too. The biggest problem
has been that they sell hosting as well as ISP and you always end up
contacting the 'wrong side' of the shop.  But on the whole it's a lot
better than dialup and cheaper than ISDN which is what I had before. I do
also pay for a dialup account as emergency backup. Since this thing is my
home office connection, I can't afford to be offline for email though
occasional outages of my web site are tolerable.

The Covad/IDSL connection I have provides a single IP address. I've asked
the ISP to map my domain name (cleansoft.net) and a handful of subdomains
(www.cleansoft.net) to that IP address which is the address of my
firewall/router. The terminal adapter is set to bridge. My router then
forwards requests into my NATed network as appropriate. I saw nothing in
the terms of service that precluded a web server or any other service. It's
not a fast server though (at 144K) so if you want your personal web site to
serve something like video you probably want to look for a hosting service.
I do that for my 'real' web site (cleansoft.com). You can compare the speed
difference if you're interested.

My neighbor has Sprint wireless. Unfortunately there's a hill behind my
house so he has line-of-sight where I don't think I can get it. He reports
that the latency is pretty bad but the bandwidth is great. ATT Broadband
has just announced cable for our neighborhood so when my Covad contract is
up (December) I'll look into that.

Drop me a note offline if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to
assist.

-Mike