[lug] sendmail hell

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon Jul 30 10:30:46 MDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, John Hernandez said:

> John, the fact that your ISP sends your outgoing e-mails to the bit
> bucket is very odd.  Rather than resorting to sending directly from
> your dial-up box (and all the associated headaches of maintaining a
> mail queue), I would hassle your ISP until they provide you with a
> working relay.

Thanx for responding.  Judging by the normal ISP performance here
(Bogota), I don't think that approach would work too well, as it's a
different culture.  The relay problem seems to be inconsistent.  I've
experienced it at times in the past as well, but didn't give it much
thought as it wasn't long term.  But I think I'm better off conjuring my own solution.

> Back to your original question, have you tried to troubleshoot using
> 'sendmail -v recipient at yahoo.com'?  Type some text and hit Ctrl-D to
> send and get verbose output.  That may reveal what's holding up the
> transaction.

Doesn't seem to yield much:

Connecting to yahoo.com. via esmtp...
adalinej at yahoo.com... Deferred: Connection timed out with yahoo.com