[lug] X windows not starting

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Tue Jul 31 08:19:51 MDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 07:54:20AM -0600, Chad Wasinger wrote:
> I have installed a fresh load of RH 7.1 and it cannot start x windows, it
> boots to the login prompt and then the screen flashes. After a few minutes
> of flahing it gives an error that " x ????????? suspended for 5 minutes,
> trying to start to fast" I don't remember the exact error. Has anyone heard
> of this?

The last part of the message sound very familiar. Did you by any
chance put the X server (or an x startup script) into /etc/inittab?
If a program in inittab can't start up and hence gets restarted over
and over init finally stops doing this for a while (assuming that this
is only a temporary problem). BTW, i don't think putting x into inittab
is such a good idea.

 Ralf