[lug] X windows not starting

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jul 31 08:42:26 MDT 2001

Thus spoke rm at mamma.varadinet.de
> Is this a common setup (i.e. x in inittab) ? I would expect [kgx]dm to be
> started by a script in /etc/init.d/... (ur /sbin/init.d/... on older SuSE).
> Inittab is used for _all_ runlevels, and x depends on a lot of services
> up and running to start correctly.

I'm not sure, but putting the graphical login shell inside inittab used to
be the simplest method of making sure the process got restarted upon exit
from a users X session.  I've not read any arguments against doing this,
but it wouldn't suprise me if using the init.d scripts became more in
vogue.  Then again, I don't use graphical logins (just good ol' startx
after logging in from the console) so I'm not up to date on this issue.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com