[lug] Install on Compaq 1215US

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Jul 31 09:42:58 MDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Keith C. Herold said:

> The pci controller is supported, TI PCI1410, and the connected light on the
> 3Com card lights, but no traffic comes in or goes out.  Presumably this is
> because the right module is not loaded, but I don't know for sure.  In any
> case, those error message concerned me, so I downloaded the latest version
> of pcmcia, and tried to install the kernel sources from the redhat cd's.
> They install alright, but I have no idea where the kernel source tree lives
> so I haven't been able to build a new kernel yet.

I presume you've found it by now, but in case not, it usually lives at
/usr/src/linux

> Other woes:
>
> I know that the USB controller doesn't play well (VIA Tech. UHCI USB rev
> 10), so I added the following line to lilo.conf in the global section (above
> the different image sections):
>
> append="nosub"
>
> and ran lilo -v, but unless I actually type linux nousb at the LILO prompt,
> the machine still tries to load the usb uhci interface and hangs.  Any
> ideas?

In the 2.2.19 kernel I'm using, there are two different USB drivers.   You
might try building them as modules, then selectively loading one then the
other.  One of them may be a remedy for your problem.

> This machine is fast (1.0 G Athlon4), and a great price, so I won't return
> it, since I figure someone out there will write appropriate drivers, but any
> help is appreciated.

Not to be a pessimist, but the last Compaq laptop I bought just short of 2
yrs. ago (Presario 1687)  was also at a good price, about 30% less than
the competition with equivalent features.  The problem was that the
machine did not ventilate the heat well and burned out the CD/DVD after 3
months.  I concluded that they were probably dumping the machines to get
rid of them.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net
  Subject line of a recent spam msg: "Email Advertising WITHOUT Spam!......"