[lug] SCSI issues

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 31 10:40:53 MDT 2001

Chad Wasinger wrote:

> I tried to install RH7.1 on an older compaq Pentium pro 150 which I have RH
> 6.0 running and it cannot find my onboard SCSI controller. Is this getting
> to be like Microsoft? phasing out older hardware support!?

Not likely. I suspect it is due to the strange bios of compaq. Have you
attempted to find a setting for "operating system is NOT plug-n-play
aware" (or named similar)? When set to "not aware", the bios attempts to
initialize pci hardware; only when it is initialized will simple
detection work. If the bios doesn't do it, then the o/s or some
application must do it instead.

To gather more information, check the output of:
lspci -v
(or lspci -vv, or lspci -vvv)

And view the contents of:
/proc/pci

Be careful to note if both address and IRQ are assigned.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com