[lug] Switch from Gnome to KDE?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 31 23:51:46 MDT 2001

Chad Wasinger wrote:

> Is this hard to do? I started the install before I saw a screen shot of KDE
> it looks cool. I didn't want to start the install over.
>
> ***Side Note:****
> I got past my install problems, all i needed was the drivers disk image for
> the SCSI problem.
>
> The video issue on the other PC is still unresolved , I ran in single user
> to stop the flashing. Tried to install an updated Xfree86 which is suppose
> to hold the drivers for my video card.
>
> Thanks for the help and advise!
>
> Chad

You will always need to edit XF86Config, and if you have a 4.0.x
version, likely it is instead XF86Config-4. For redhat, in /etc/X11/,
probably there for a few other distros as well. There are scripts to aid
editing as well, and those are good to start with, but if it still
fails, it is often a good idea to go in and manually examine that file.
You'll also get a log somewhere like /var/log/XFree86.0.log with some
sort of error message you can do a web search for (and sometimes
messages will also show up in /var/log/messages). Your friend here is
"tail -f /var/log/whatever", to continuously monitor those logs. A good
intermediate step is to run startx as root instead of going to gdm or
xdm or init 5. Once it works as root, then see if you can do startx as a
regular user. Once that is possible, you can safely edit /etc/inittab to
boot by default to graphics mode (runlevel 5 for RH, i.e., init 5).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com