[lug] cp and rm

David dajo at frii.com
Thu Aug 2 08:58:23 MDT 2001

Thank you for your last reply Tom.  Here are a few comments and an
exercise - if you feel up to it 8-)

>> case, it isn't hard.  This is a longstanding bash bug of an obscure

This particular thread came up because my bash archive function, used
for a long time, failed to work under RH 7.1.  From my point of view
this problem is not longstanding - another wrinkle.

>> So, when I find a bug in free software, I make a real attempt to at
>> least report it.  It might be a trivial bug, and chances are fair that
>> it won't be addressed.  But I still report it, because for me that act
>> is an important part of operating in a free software community.

A lot of us feel that way.  And I am really pleased that you wrote
that on this list.

This came from your reply to Ferdinand:

>> I thought we got rid of linuxconf.  I've only ever heard bad things
>> about it.  I mean, I literally have never heard a good comment.  I
>> have never used it myself.

I had to laugh at this.  I have had a hard time with tools in Gnome
and KDE (see below), so I loaded linuxconf (the devil I know) to get
the job done.  Normally I use fvwm; but with system administration
stuff I like to use the provided tools in order to maintain integrity
of the system.

Exercise:

I loaded RH 7.1 and then wanted to add a user.  I could not work out
how to do it in Gnome or KDE; I just could not find a mention of
"user" in the documentation I looked at.  I am sure that it is there,
perhaps staring me in the face, but I could not find it.  Oh, now I
think that I found one possibilty, but nothing happened when I clicked
on it (note).  I ended up loading linuxconf to do the job.

So the exercise is to add a new user using a new group to your system
using Gnome and/or KDE tools.  Of course, you must enter into the
spirit of this: if you know how to do it then you must ignore that and
just read the documentation and menus, no editing of /etc/passwd.

dajo