[lug] The changing Linux Community was Re: cp and rm

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Aug 2 10:54:40 MDT 2001

I'm far less concerned about this than Wade is. I do understand his point,
but the fact the one can pick up Linux at the local CompUSA is a big bonus.
Now, we may end up with a smaller percentage of users that can or are
willing to contribute back to the community. But the sheer volume of new
users has also added to the total number of contributors in the community as
well.

But, lets face it, in the past you had to be a hacker to use Linux. With the
advent of commercial Linux distributions, that's no longer the case. We can
not continue to expect that every Linux user will contribute some code
changes back to the package maintainers.

Yes, the overall face of the community changes, but we still gain. And it
gives us the opportunity to introduce new Linux users that can code to the
concept of code contribution that is at the heart of the Linux community.