[lug] Weird spooling issues

John Price Pricej at firsttrust.com
Thu Aug 2 11:07:39 MDT 2001

Thanks to John Hernandez for the help on tcp wrappers and xinetd.  I've got another issue that, frankly,is baffling me. I have samba working fine for disk sharing.  I have also successfully had printer sharing established on numerous occassions on previous installations.

After loading Redhat 7.1, however, I've had difficulty getting this to work.  Without going into huge amounts of detail, the print jobs are successfully making it to the /var/spool/samba file (which is the default set-up for 7.1) .  A directory listing shows all of the print jobs in that directory.  The windows box claims that there is no print que for the localhost.localdomain.  When I run lpq, however, it shows the jobs printed successfully.  lpq-L shows that all of my test jobs printed.  Yet,the spooled files remain and are not printed.

Linux has no problems printing to the same printer.  I've never seen files successfully spooled but not printed.  What obvious thing am I missing?