[lug] The changing Linux Community was Re: cp and rm

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Aug 2 15:24:34 MDT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> One of my own perspectives comes from business school, where one of the
> interesting lessons in history was about a guy that got rejected by all
> the American businesses for his ideas. He went to Japan, and taught them
> that "quality is free".

Yes, I believe that you are refering to Dr. Deming
<http://www.well.com/user/vamead/demingdist.html>.

> Getting people to complain politely would be a better solution than
> asking those who know little about the subject to not complain.

Hmmm ... I hope I'm not sounding like I'm asking people to not
complain.  That was not my point - quite the contrary!  I thought the
original thread was fairly exemplary.  Someone found what was considered
to be a bug, and the group analyzed it - cool!

No, I'd MUCH rather people pointed out the flaws.  Simply doing so means
participating in the development process.  The new users have a grand role
to play in that they are in the best position to point out where the
emperors clothes are missing or just don't quite fit right.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)