[lug] The changing Linux Community was Re: cp and rm

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Thu Aug 2 18:36:16 MDT 2001

At 17:53 8/2/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>Agreed, Hugh.  I'm a HORRIBLE programmer.  Heh.  But I give every bug I
>run across at least one concerted attempt at figuring it out if I have
>any time to do so at all... slowly I've been picking up things and maybe
>one day it'll all click, but I'm starting to see that only by doing some
>serious programming and I going to pull myself over that hump.  Now the
>next hard part, what project do I love so much that I will "find" time
>to work on it... hard choice.

I send bug reports occasionally. Usually I ignore them. I have my own bugs
to contend to. If it's a really stupid bug, like one in the configure/make,
I'll send one in just to irritate the developers. I can say, as a developer
that has open source projects, if I get a bug report, it usually spurs on
some development. :) Sometimes just to fix the bug, or sometimes I'll get
the bug to work on a project for weeks. I just got gutenbrowser fairly
updated and stable. (NOT looking forward to moving to QT-3!) I know there's
bugs in my program, but until I get someone reporting them, I assume 1) no
ones using it, or 2) theres no bugs. Its usable. It's needs to be working
differently. So bug reports DO help. Besides, I have no idea what/where/how
it runs on others dist/machines.

ljp