[lug] Beginner Question

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Aug 3 13:41:55 MDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Greg Horne wrote:

> When I was a "beginner" I installed RH7 (workstation install) and discovered
> that ftp and telnet do not work.  I tried installing the packages
> individually, but it still would not work.  So I formatted and reinstalled
> this time doing it custom style, making sure to select ftp and telnet.

OK, but these are the client programs.  You have to install the daemon
programs ftpd and telnetd which are the processes that listen for
incomming connections from the client packages like you installed.

The question I have about this is that the one time I looked into helping
a fellow setup telnetd under Red Hat I couldn't find the /etc/inetd.conf
file.  Did Red Hat move this, call it something else, eliminate the file,
or did I simply overlook it?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)