[lug] Beginner Question

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Fri Aug 3 13:53:24 MDT 2001

On a workstation install, no servers (telnetd/ftpd/apache/nfs/talkd/rshd
etc.) are installed.
Inetd is software that controls servers.

Since no servers will be installed on a workstation, inetd is not installed
either.
It's on the CD, along with the server software you desire.
In Redhat 7.x inetd has been changed to xinetd. That should be on the CD in
place of inetd.

Be sure to use the --test option with rpm and it should tell you what you
need.
I'm not sure if telnetd or ftpd have dependencies on [x]inetd, but it seems
like they might.
If there is a dependency, you should receive a message explaining which
other packages you need to install:

rpm -i --test foo_1.34.rpm
foo_1.34 depends on bar_9.21