[lug] The changing Linux Community was Re: cp and rm

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Aug 3 14:40:24 MDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> If you simply stay jaded, and consider the "less civilized" responses
> something that you don't want to bother with anymore, nothing will
> change.

Yes indeed!  (I really like this quote.)

> I still believe Linux is a place where change is possible even for the
> uneducated, though it will take a long time to get there. I'm in the
> jaded boat for Win, I just get so tired of it fighting me every step
> of the way while programming there; the powers that be will never
> believe any attitude but their own, so I give up on Win, the weak
> links there are set in stone.

Ah, and we start converging back a bit to what I remember of the beginning
of the thread.  This has been long enough my memory is starting to get
kind of fuzzy.  I think that we all basically agree.  I also think that
there are really several main points:

    - Linux evolution and development is a community process, and as such
      is not quite like commercial development.  Here you can have input
      into the process at all levels.  You aren't simply limited to voting
      with your money.

    - People need to really understand the community concept.  If you want
      something fixed, say something.  You might be surprised at what that
      simple act can accomplish.

    - Change and evolution is possible and generally considered a good
      thing.  It ensures flexibility and computing freedom.

I think you summed up my initial concerns by saying that for MSWindows
"the weak links there are set in stone".  That is a condition that really
worries me.  The arguments about Linux needing to be easier, simpler, has
too many options, needs a better GUI, all in the name of replacing
MSWindows seem kind of shallow.  What is the point here - money, fame, the
satisfaction of unseating a monopoly?

I think I can generalize and say that most of the original Linux people
got involved because this community gives them the freedom to be creative.
You can meet lots of very smart, interesting people, collaborate on
projects that interest you, and fundamentally have fun.  With the current
push to make Linux more business like this feeling is changing.  I'm
hoping that the community is careful not to take itself too seriously, and
to continue to keep things interesting and fun.  We certainly need to keep
striving to build a better system, but lets do it without
oversimplification, and without tuning down the experimental side of
things.  Let's strive to keep growing, changing, and adapting so as you
say, the weak links don't get set in stone.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)