[lug] Beginner Question

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 3 15:07:20 MDT 2001

Sure, I do trust them, even to the point where we typically share a single lab account.  No sniffer required!  And to some degree I also trust the people with access to the BLUG server, on which my membership password sits in the clear, I'm sure.  Listserv administration is another perfect example where clear-text passwords are routine.  It all boils down to a game of risk management.  Security at any costs doesn't always make sense, particularly if you're willing to live with the consequences of a breach.

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, John Hernandez wrote:
>
> > Our network lab is a good example of a place where telnetd makes
> > perfect sense.  We can telnet from UNIX boxen to network devices, and
> > vice versa, on an isolated, trusted network.  Many people.  No lead
> > walls.  ;)
>
> Not an uncommon scenario in many such situations.  You do however make the
> implicit assumption that you trust your fellow employees though.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |