[lug] Qwest DSL and Microsoft

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Sat Aug 4 08:25:32 MDT 2001

Taz wrote:

> Just as an FYI, I use ATT @ home.  So far no problems, but I can't seems
> to figure out DHCP (or pump).  What I did, was go into M$98 and get the
> ip adress.  I hardcoded linux for the ip.  It has work for about 2 mos
> now.  I wonder how long I'll be able to keep the ip...

The IP address _may_ be relatively stable - my brother's @Home-connected
computer has had the same address for almost a year.

Which Linux distro are you using? Under RH 7.1, you can put
"DHCP_HOSTNAME=systemname" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (where
"systemname" is the computer name the AT&T plugged into Windows), if eth0 is
the interface which connects to the cable modem.

For some other distro you may have to modify
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup to give your computer's name to AT&T's DHCP
server.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge