[lug] OT: possible future of tcp

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Aug 4 15:15:55 MDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Sean Reifschneider said:

> The idea that MS may be promoting having a system that allows the easy and
> fast replication of viruses, to allow them an opening for other things is
> interesting.  What I find MORE interesting is that it also leaves an
> opening for everyone else, and it's actively promoting people to look at
> other alternatives like Linux, legislation, etc...

Sure, but I think that a monolithic entity can probably do this faster; if
for no other reason than there is not room for too much debate concerning
differences in personal opinions.  It's more of a hierarchy of command
than a consensus of opinion as would be the case in the open source world.
But I suppose that other *companies* e.g., Sun might be more apt to fit
your description.

> Mostly I think the article in question is a crock.  It's probably worth
> examination to see if there is an opening that the Open Source community
> can exploit before Microsoft does...

Your arguments make sense, I guess we'll have to wait and see on some of
the issues.  I'm not at all familiar with the W9x API's so I don't have
any way to judge the differences that were described for Xp except to
accept the assertions of others.  The author makes it seem like there is a
notable change in the API's in this regard, or at least it's more easily
accessible from higher level programming platforms, e.g., VB / VBS.  I
really don't know.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net