[lug] WU-FTP?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 7 10:30:05 MDT 2001

Your previous message about IPCHAINS got me thinking that this may be a problem with your firewall blocking the data channel connection from the client.  What happens with a client in passive mode, like a web browser?  If you want to use ftp clients in normal mode then you'll probably need to write a special rule allowing the incoming data connection.

Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> "Scott A. Herod" wrote:
> >
> > Chad Wasinger wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a new install of RedHat 7.1, I went into /etc/xinet.d/wu-ftp and
> > > changed disabled to =no so now I can connect to the server via ftp. I cannot
> > > however transfer files or even do a dir. It gives a 200 PORT command
> > > successful but then hangs and then says"Connection closed by remote host."
> > > The logs just show a normal ftp connection open and exit, no errors. Any
> > > ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Chad
> >
> > Is it perhaps trying to do authentication of the client machine?
> > I suppose that might include a reverse DNS lookup.  I had problems
> > at home between my two machines in which it would take minutes for
> > the connection to go through.  I finally decided it was caused by
> > a reverse lookup on attempt by the server when I had no dns server
> > available.
> If this is the case then include all machines in each /etc/hosts file.
> Both machines should have their ftp partner listed in /etc/hosts in
> addition to themselves in the absence of DNS.
>
> Ferdinand
>

> > scott
>
> --
> Ferdinand Schmid
> http://www.archenergy.com
> 303-444-4149 x231

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |