[lug] M$ does it again...down under

Jenni wah at wah.nu
Tue Aug 7 12:19:30 MDT 2001

.> How much work is involved?
.>
.
.Interesting.  How good are the prospects of running a
.Linux/XFree86/StarOffice/Konqueror setup on, say, a P-133 32MB RAM?
.Will it be starved for resources and hopelessly slow?  Or will it be
.even more responsive and usable than Windows/Office/IE 95 on a similar
.system?
.
.I think that Linux once had a reputation as being a good choice for
.older/outdated systems.  Does that still hold true with the modern suite
.of software that accompanies most distros?  Or has it made a shift to
.higher-end systems?

I just installed SuSE 7.2 with KDE 2.1 and StarOffice on my mom's P166
laptop with 80MB (I think.) of RAM, and it's painfully slow.  The worst of
it is when KDE first loads, but the rest is also pretty bad.

I have a RedHat 7.0 KDE 2.whatever P166 desktop with 128MB of RAM and it
runs much smoother.  KDE still loads slow, but once it's up, the rest
seems to work just fine.

-Jen