[lug] Got knocked off the list...

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Aug 7 13:01:20 MDT 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> I was wondering why I was not receiving any
> emails from the list recently, and noticed
> that the Meta site did not have me in there.
> Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone
> have an explanation (just curious is all, not
> a hassle to sign up again after all)?

The meta list is a completely different list that the discussion
list.  For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the BLUG runs
three mailing lists:

    - Discussion List:  The original list where all the general discussion
      occurs.  If you are on this one there isn't usually much of a reason
      to subscribe to any others.  (If you are reading this post you are
      subscribed to the discussion list.)

    - Announce List:  This is a subset of the discussion list.  It is a
      fully moderated list, and doesn't carry any discussions.  You'll
      only see meeting announcements and summaries, and announcements of
      other events there.

    - Administration List (Meta):  This list is setup to provide a
      communication link between all of the known Linux Users Groups in
      the Colorado region.  It is how we coordinate activities between say
      CLUE, PPLUG, GLUG, NCLUG, and BLUG.  It is also not a place for
      general Linux discussion.

So ... I don't know why you might not have been receiving posts.  There
have been some recent changes made to the servers, but I've not seen any
adverse list behavior.  There could have been some network difficulties
somewhere along the pipe between you and the server.  It is also possible
that your address got bounced off the list if there was a network
problem.  I usually remove addresses if they generate more than ten or so
consecutive bounces.  I don't remember seeing your address on the chopping
block though.

Contact me directly if you see any more problems.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)