[lug] Shell Script Reading

B. O'Fallon bof at americanisp.net
Wed Aug 8 08:20:54 MDT 2001

Stephen Smith wrote:
> I am looking for recommendations on reading to do
> to gain experience with shell scripting..
> Websites?
> Books?

I've found the following books useful:

	Linux Shells by Example. Ellen Quigley. Prentice-Hall, 2000. ISBN
0-13-014711-7. This is a basic introduction to grep, sed, awk, bash and
tcsh programming. It has the most detailed information about the various
options for shell programming that I've seen and so is a good reference.

	Unix Shell Programming. Stephen Kochan and Patrick Wood. Hayden Books
(SAMS), 1990. ISBN 0-672-48448-X. Very detailed on Unix programming,
considered a classic. While some of the information has been overtaken
by events of the newer shells, the basics are still very well taught and
justify its classic status.

	Linux and Unix Shell Programming. David Tansley. Addison-Wesley, 2000.
ISBN 0-201-67472-6. If you can afford only one book, this is the one I
would buy: it covers grep, awk, sed, the bash shell and the shell
environment very well.

	Learning the Bash Shell. Cameron Newham and Bill Rosenblatt. O'Reilly,
1998. ISBN 1-56592-347-2. This is from O'Reilly: what else need be said?
In spite of that, I don't like it that well as it is not always very
clear and the examples not always very good.

All of these should be available from SoftPro Books in Boulder/Denver,
or from Bookpool (www.bookpool.com). Bookpool for sure has the Unix
Shell Programming book, which may be hard to find as it is so old.

Hope this helps.

BOF