[lug] Reverse DNS problems

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Wed Aug 8 11:55:55 MDT 2001

Hmm, I'd be interested to know how you are going to troubleshoot this
on your end. I know dns fairly well, I think, but I'm not too good with
the nitty gritty, this could be good info for the future. Anyways, here
is the ip range I am using.
206.247.117.71 thru 206.247.117.76
Supposedly my friends dns server is supposed to have authority for the
reverse lookups (ns.angrytechie.com) but my dns server
(ns.jackmoves.com) also has the reverse zone info. So you can query
either of those to find out what the revese lookups "should" resolve
too. Thanks again for any help...

Justin

> The delegations have to be correct all the way down from the root
> servers, just like forwards.  Sometimes if it's a small ISP they'll
have
> IP space that's actually "owned" by their upstream and not IP space
from
> ARIN.  If so, their upstream has to delegate the reverse lookups down
> to their servers, then they delegate down to you... etc etc etc.
>
> Standard NS delegation happens for anything larger than a Class-C,
> otherwise see RFC 2317 for info on smaller-than-class-c (CIDR block)
DNS
> reverse delegation.  Or DNS & Bind from O'Riley & Associates...
>
> Since there's nothing "secure" or "secret" about DNS entries, if
you'll
> provide the IP range you're trying to get working, we can all look at
it
> from here and probably see what is wrong with it... (this is a common
> thread that comes up on the bind-isc mailing list -- people hide their
> true domain name from the list but of course the information is public
> and available from every DNS server in the world... heh heh).
>

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:48:18PM -0600, Justin wrote:
> > I am having problems getting my reverse dns to work with a block of
ip
> > address's that I use. They were delegated by an ISP and the forward
> > lookups are working just fine. The dns server is configured
correctly
> > with a "xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa" zone and reverse lookups work
fine if
> > we query that server. But, if we make reverse queries using any
other
> > dns server the ip does not resolve. Is there anything special that
> > needs to be done in order to get the reverse dns to work correctly?
> > know when I had Qwest as an ISP I had to fill out a webform for
reverse
> > dns to work properly, as well as have my own reverse zone. Thanks
in
> > advance for any help.
> >
> > Justin
> >
> > -----
> > glow at jackmoves.com
> > www.jackmoves.com
>
> --
> Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>
>
> GPG Key fingerprint = DCAF 2B9D CC9B 96FA 7A6D AAF4 2D61 77C5 7ECE
C1D2