[lug] Chad's ftp problem

Richard Hollos richard at exstrom.com
Wed Aug 8 15:41:38 MDT 2001

> 15. FTP , Almost? (Chad Wasinger)
> Message: 15
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:57:41 -0600
> From: "Chad Wasinger" <cswasinger at qwest.net>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: [lug] FTP , Almost?
>
> I have the server wu-ftpd working now, I am using a firewall config to allow
> only access from work and my personal LAN. I can connect and login but
> unable to get a DIR or transfer it times out. I have opened ports 20 and 21.
> Is that all I should have to do?
>
> Chad

Dear Hanging Chad (sorry, I couldn't resist),

We had a similar problem. File transfer using ftp was hanging after the file
was transfered but before the data connection was closed. The finished
command was never received from the earthlink ftp server. My brother fixed
this problem by making the mru parameter in the etc/ppp/options file (That's
where it is in our Debian system) equal to 542. Also, some web sites we
could not connect to at an mru of 542 but when we took it up to 1500, we
were able to connect.

Richard Hollos