[lug] Reverse DNS problems

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Thu Aug 9 08:59:28 MDT 2001

Well we only have a small segment of that. It's actually like
79-65.117.247.206.in-addr.arpa, I think those are all the address's we
have. How do you actually go about delegating address space like that
down to another dns server (in bind)? I read a little bit yesterday
that the named.conf of the master (rmi) bind server would need a "79-
65.117.247.206.in-addr.arpa" zone but it didn't say exactly how to
specify it in the conf file (somehow it has to redirect to a different
dns server right?). I'll try to look up some more docs in the meantime
on how to accomplish this, thx again for the help.

Justin

> saturn:~$ ns
> > server a.root-servers.net.
> Default server: a.root-servers.net.
> Address: 198.41.0.4#53
> > 206.247.117.71
> Server:         a.root-servers.net.
> Address:        198.41.0.4#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find 71.117.247.206.in-addr.arpa.: No answer
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> 247.206.in-addr.arpa    nameserver = NS1.ROCKYMTN.NET.
> 247.206.in-addr.arpa    nameserver = NS2.ROCKYMTN.NET.
>

> that's correct.  rmi needs to fix it.  they're giving you authority
for a /29?  wow.

> * Justin (glow at jackmoves.com) wrote:
> > Yes, that is the ISP providing the ips. Now I imagine somehow they
need
> > to delegate down to our dns servers?
> >
> > Justin
> >
> > > it looks like the root servers are pointing to rocky mountain
> > internet for the reverse of these IPs

> > this
> > with
Anyways,