[lug] (OT) C++ ?, pointers to member functions

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Aug 9 08:56:37 MDT 2001

Tom Tromey wrote:

> For instance, if you have one library which implements a base class
> with a virtual function f, and then another library which has a
> class derived from `base' which overrides `f', then your program can
> call `obj->f' without fear; it won't matter where the actual class of
> `obj' is implemented.

Tom,

To tie this with another C++ thread from a couple of weeks ago.  I guess
that I would not expect objects built with different "packing" to be
used together successfully.  ( I probably should check this with a
simple test. )  Wouldn't changing how the compiler segmented memory
for the layout of objects make vtables incompatable?

Scott