understanding ARP was: RE: [lug] wild activity, don't know why.

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Aug 9 15:01:22 MDT 2001

I would be nervous too. But, if everyone out there has network
neighborhood going (and that includes samba), then they are probably all
talking to each other. It would be rather important to have firewalling
set up to allow only necessary ip's access to ports 137 through 139. And
as for anything like DHCP or DNS, never let anyone talk to it but the
exact ip's that need to. Even if you don't block traffic, ipchains and
firewall logging rules give you a lot of info on what is hitting the
ports...you can simply tell it to log, and not block.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com