[lug] Cisco 675 PPP vs. Bridging modes

JL Kottal jlkottal at americanisp.net
Thu Aug 9 16:33:37 MDT 2001

Hello,

This message was posted both BLUG and CLUE-tech.

Could someone(s) please compare and contrast the bridging and the PPP
modes for a Cisco 675 router, vis-a-vis the advantages and
disadvantages, bandwidth, security, etc.?

I am currently using an ISP with the 675 in PPP mode and, in spite of
having applied the 675 CBOS upgrade and redirecting the HTTP port, I
am still getting killed by the Code Red worm. Someone has suggested
that placing the 675 in the bridging mode will eliminate this
vulnerability.

I talked to my ISP, who swears that the bridging mode is the worst
possible way to run this router, but I am not sure that I understand
their reasons because they sounded like so much double-talk.

Thus I pose my question to a relatively unbiased group and hope that
this does not cause a flame war ... <g>

JohnK