[lug] Cisco 675 PPP vs. Bridging modes

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Aug 10 21:20:15 MDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 04:33:37PM -0600, JL Kottal wrote:
>Could someone(s) please compare and contrast the bridging and the PPP
>modes for a Cisco 675 router, vis-a-vis the advantages and
>disadvantages, bandwidth, security, etc.?

In bridging mode, the 675 doesn't have an IP, so doing SNMP, telnet, or
HTTP management of it is not an option.  However, attackers also can't
reference it.  Years ago, there were problems with some Cisco DSLAMs
started really bogging down when they were talking to too many bridging
connections.  This has since been solved.

It boils down to:

   If you want to do web/telnet/snmp management *AND/OR* handle multiple IP
   networks on the ethernet side, you *HAVE* to run PPP.  We have 4 IP
   networks associated with our DSL line, so bridging mode is not an
   option.

Sean
--
 "Science exists to lend belief to sci-fi movies."