[lug] silly emacs

socket at peakpeak.com socket at peakpeak.com
Sat Aug 11 14:08:27 MDT 2001

> At 12:15 8/11/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> Sure. Every windblows editor natively does this-> When I select a word by
> clicking on it, it does not copy the word to the clipboard.
> I can then C-v to paste into the selected item. Move to another word,
> highlight it, and paste the same word as before. Whereas emacs, when I
> highlight a word, copies the text into the clipboard 'ring', I can only
> paste what I have in the clipboard only once. Like this-
> C-c: "this phrase"
>
> highlight: "the phrase to be overwritten"
> C-v: "this phrase"
>
> when I try to paste a second time, what gets pasted is
> "the phrase to be overwritten"
> instead of "this phrase"

This is a feature... the reason why it's a "kill-ring" rather than a clipboard
is that you can put more than one thing into it. When you select with the
mouse, it copies that region to the kill-ring, but doesn't kill it. When you
paste (yank, ctrl-y), it pulls the most recent thing from the kill ring and
pastes it. But if you want the *previously* copied thing instead, after using
ctrl-y and seeing it's not what you want, you can use alt-y repeatedly to go
back through the kill ring - it'll eventually loop around to the beginning
(it's a ring, after all).

But if you *really* want to change the behavior of the mouse, it's possible to
do so - it looks like GNU Emacs treats mouse-bindings the same way it treats
key-bindings. So, have a look through the info files for documentation on a
function called "global-unset-key" and the list of bindings (which you can see
with ctrl-x, b)

Sorry this isn't a more cut-and-dried answer, I don't have my laptop in front
of me at the moment...

--
Chris Riddoch        | epistemological
socket at peakpeak.com  | humility

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK