[lug] Xfree86 4.x and Debian?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 13 12:16:27 MDT 2001

Upgrading to X4 is possible on potato (stable) and is standard in
testing and unstable.

G. Branden Robinson handles the X packages for Debian and his homepage
on people.debian.org is very useful (as well as his archives of both
completed and packages in testing he's offering for folks willing to
help him test...)

people.debian.org/~branden/

However I don't think Branden supports XFree 4.x on potato directly --
it's a "roll your own" kinda of thing...

However another developer HAS rolled unofficial debs for use on
potato...

http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf403_potato/READ.THIS

As for the rest of your questions, I don't have the hardware nor have I
actually tried any of this...

And as for 4.1 debs?  The same developer has rolled some of those too...

See his main dir http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ and do some digging
around for what you want.  He has build dependencies and all that stuff
too... if you want to compile your own...

Hope that's helpful.  I just remembered reading all the announcements
about the unofficial stuff from these guys a while back and did a Google
search to dig the links up.

"XFree 4.0 + Debian + Potato"

:-)

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>