[lug] Fun with being hacked

Keith.Herold herold at cslr.Colorado.EDU
Tue Aug 14 11:38:55 MDT 2001

Well, yeah, I sort of assumed that gdm was a little diversion.  I'm not
using bind, but rpc is running (for nfs, right).  This machine isn't serving
a printer, so it seems unlikely that the printer port was an issue.  We (the
lab) don't have a firewall up, because no one wants to spend the week to a
month necessary to get the thing going, but, since we get hacked every
month, I think I might get a little more insistent.  Unfortunately, I don't
have the previous configuration.  This is research box, but all of the code
I write and the data are in at least three other machines so I typically
don't worry about backing configurations up.  Next time I think I will run
tripwire and put a firewall up on this machine alone.

As for the IP, I don't believe it is the originator, just because the same
hole is being used from many different addresses.  When I came in to check
it out, I found 8 copies of autotelnet running; the source code for the
exploit says that the attack may take more than an hour, so I gather the
punk ran a bunch of copies and thinks he/she will get on later to check it
out.

My version of openssh is only a month or so old; in any case, it will be
time to generate all new keys again.

--Keith