[lug] Java Script problem

Samartha Deva blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Wed Aug 15 01:53:00 MDT 2001

I am trying to get this function to work with IE and pulling my
hair out.

Linux Netscape, Mozilla, Konqueror have no problem. Under Windoze,
the IE complains about illegal parameter on the first open call.
Netscape 4.7 hangs, Netscape 6.0 does it fine.
In an earlier case, I was able to circumvent this error message
under IE by splitting string assignments into several lines but
this time - no such luck. I am unable to find any reference to
incompatibilities which would indicate something. Maybe it is
something very obvious and incredibly simply embarrassing.

Samartha

The function is opening two windows with the same script from
different directories.

><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
><!--
>var sourceUrlRoot = "onion.mtbwr.com/proj5/help/";
>var languagePrefix = "de-DE/";
>var usWin;
>var langWin;
>function openNewWin ( pageName )
>{
>    var langUrl;
>    var usUrl;
>    // var langUrl = "http://" + sourceUrlRoot + languagePrefix + "/" +
> pageName;
>    // var usUrl   = "http://" + sourceUrlRoot                  + "/" +
> pageName;
>    langUrl = "http://";
>    langUrl = langUrl + sourceUrlRoot;
>    langUrl = langUrl + languagePrefix;
>    langUrl = langUrl + pageName;
>    usUrl   = "http://";
>    usUrl = usUrl + sourceUrlRoot;
>    usUrl = usUrl + pageName;
>langWin = window.open( langUrl, "LANG-WIN",
>"toolbar,resizable,location,status,scrollbars" );

IE gives "invalid argument" on the above line