[lug] Linuxconf deprecation

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 15:42:24 MDT 2001

Dan> What are these being replaced with? Are they being replaced?  Or
Dan> is the administrator now left to configure everything manually?

Tom> I wish I knew the answer to this.  I'll see if I can find out.

I asked around and there are apparently individual tools for many
things, e.g. redhat-config-network.  Supposedly there is some kind of
Nautilus integration, but it isn't clear to me if that is ready yet.
Also for KDE users there is a Qt-based control panel (I'm guessing
this is just a standard part of KDE; I don't think we have any
non-volunteer KDE hackers on staff).

I don't know whether these tools cover everything Linuxconf did or
that webmin does.

Tom