[lug] can't install KDE on my Debian machine due to libasound1 - help!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 15 16:59:24 MDT 2001

Are you running potato or woody or sid?

Where'd you get the KDE packages from?

They have a dependency on something you don't have installed which means
the developer forgot a "pre-depends" on the package.

But if the package is from unstable or testing (sid or woody) this
happens, and you kinda just have to live with it.  You can check to make
sure a bug is filed in the Debian Bug Tracking system so the package
maintainer is aware of the issue, and/or contact the maintainer via
e-mail.

You may also want to go digging through the ALSA packages to see which
one provides the lib libasound1 library and install it to see if that
satisfies the broken dependency.

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>