[lug] Configuring

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Aug 15 22:36:59 MDT 2001

"Keith.Herold" wrote:

> Help!  After my machine was hacked, I reinstalled everything (RH 7.1).  Now
> I would like to configure the firewall, but the help docs are, shall we say,
> minimal.  All I want to allow is ssh (all the other services are turned off,
> but they were before, too).

Since it is difficult to just supply all the rules, I suggest you give
us this information first, followed by the config rules you are trying
to use now:
kernel version (uname -a);
If any part of firewalling is module format, then the output of "lsmod";
The output of:
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains status
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables status
(note that ipchains and iptables are mutually exclusive, there can be
only one)

And also be sure that any package (except possibly for the the kernel
itself) from the RH 7.1 i386 and NOARCH areas of this site are updated
(use rpm -Fvh to avoid installing what you don't have already...run this
command on an entire directory of rpms with wildcards, e.g., download to
some rpm archive directory, cd there, then run "rpm -Fvh *.rpm"). If you
want to compare rpm's on your system prior to downloading use something
like this to browse while viewing the rpm site:
rpm -qva | sort | less

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com