[lug] can't install KDE on my Debian machine due to libasound1 - help!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 16 14:43:56 MDT 2001

I like dselect too... the single key mappings are a little odd (why "="
means "HOLD PACKAGE" I'll never understand) but once you learn them,
dselect is a great way to manage packages on a Debian box.

I also *do* like doing a quick apt-get update; apt-get upgrade when
security announcements come out too, though.  And the new apt-get
build-dep <package> feature in the unstable version of apt is REALLY
nice.  Just run that do an apt-get source <package> and compile... it's
nice tight useful software...

Three commands to download a package and all necessary libraries and
build a new .deb file... that's CLASSY!  Of course needing to build from
source is a rare event also because most of the package maintainers
really work hard on having realistic and well-thought-out default builds
and configurations.

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>