[lug] Emacs problem

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Thu Aug 16 18:19:35 MDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 05:52:05PM -0600, Tkil wrote:

> Tkil> i haven't done enough work on the console to guess what might be
> Tkil> eating ALT/META events....
>
> it occurs to me that this might be some sort of weird dead key
> (graphical compose, accents, whatever you call them) processing.  try
> holding down your alt or meta key, then typing (say) "e" and "'" ...
> that should generated an accented e.

It doesn't - neither does ESC-e-' - but interestingly enough ESC-e somehow
shows up as M-e.  Does this mean that my copy of XEmacs is set up to have
escape function as both ESC and meta?

Also oddly, the 'meta' bit appears to be selective - the traditional meta
key, lovely alt, captures just fine for sequences like meta-x.

---

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein