[lug] Emacs problem

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Fri Aug 17 00:38:24 MDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 12:09:29AM -0600, Tkil wrote:

> Steve> Also oddly, the 'meta' bit appears to be selective - the
> Steve> traditional meta key, lovely alt, captures just fine for
> Steve> sequences like meta-x.
>
> ok, i'm totally hosed now.  if ALT+x works as M-x, then ALT+SHIFT+.
> should register as M->.  dare i suggest you try a different keyboard?
> (and/or see if it works in X?)

Keyboard's stuck to a laptop, so I can't really try that. As for working in
X... it works in X.  This baffles me to no end.

> dajo's questions are very appropriate: did something change at the
> same time you started having these problems?  did you upgrade emacs,
> the kernel, anything?  was it intermittent at first (which would tend
> to indicate flakey hardware) or did it just suddently start failing?

I switched from Debian to Slackware.  The Slackware XEmacs package (since
it wasn't exactly the sort of thing I'd probably enjoy compiling
on my own) is what I'm using - it was apparently provided by a contributor,
and isn't part of the main distribution (it's on a seperate CD).

> this is really darned odd...

Obviously I agree.

---

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein