[lug] Emacs problem

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Fri Aug 17 09:37:55 MDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 08:51:18AM -0600, David wrote:

> Some of these are fake, e.g., ^Q is ^ followed by Q; what you should
> get is a single character that looks like, e.g., ^Q
>
> C-q C-q  ^Q
>
> C-q ESC   ^[
>
> C-q M-e   å  (in X)    ^[e  (in console)
>
> C-q M->   ¾            ^[>

All of these work properly with the standard meta key (alt) except for, of
course, M->.  I still have no idea why this is, and at this point, this
is mostly what I'm interested in knowing, so I can try and fix it.

> If you think that Emacs is seeing the keystokes you could try this.
> Evaluate each line in turn in the *scratch* buffer by typing C-j at
> the end of the line.  Then try M->.
>
> (defun  freddie  ()  (interactive)  (beep))
> (define-key  global-map  [?\M->]    'freddie)

Interestingly enough, that bit of elisp didn't work for either alt-> or esc->;
but that might just be my dubious sound hardware in action.

- Steve