[lug] Emacs problem

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Fri Aug 17 14:33:47 MDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 02:06:27PM -0600, David wrote:
> > the console isn't even catching it.  This explains why X doesn't have
> > the problem.
>
> I do not see how this follows.  I bet that there is an xmodmaprc
> floating around somewhere that modifes some keys when you go into X.

This stemmed from my (incorrect) assumption that it had something to do
with a weird terminal setting.

> > The question is, why can the console capture the alt key fine at some points
> > and not at others?  Next question is.. how in the world do I fix it?
>
> Do M-e, M-x, M-p, etc., beep in a console?  They do on my machine.
> But M-< and M-> do something (weird) with the bash command history.
> However all is well inside emacs, i.e., I get ^[< and ^[>.

They do indeed, but shift-metas don't, as they're apparently not recognized
on my system (thanks to the magic of using dumpkeys).

> I apologize for forgetting this.

Not a big deal - thanks for all your help, and I know where the problem's
at now, and will hopefully soon hear how to get at it (changing whatever
file dumpkeys outputs).

- Steve

--
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein