[lug] Still more XEmacs.

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Tue Aug 21 04:13:39 MDT 2001

Yes, more excitement with XEmacs - lots of folks having problems with it lately,
aren't there?

This particular problem comes in several flavours - first, the most disturbing
(which may possibly just be my XEmacs being silly).  This would be the fact
that XEmacs completely decides to ignore the site-init.el file, which I placed
in what I thought would be the default location for it (/usr/X11R6/lib/xemacs-21.1.14/lisp/site-init.el), given that a file called site-load.el lives in the
same directory.  Surprise surprise, XEmacs loads neither of them on start!
Considering that this is a (supposedly) carefully assembled package for
Slackware, where should these files go?

In any case, I found out about this error while working on something else -
trying to get ilisp (5.11, the latest, I believe) to work in harmony with my
system.  I'm attempting to get it to work with a derivitive of CMUCL called
SBCL (version 0.6.12) which is supposedly compatable with CMUCL, something
that ilisp supports quite well.  Whenever I invoke run-ilisp, there's
a long pause, and then I get this:

(In buffer *Output* - I assme this is from SBCL itself?)

STYLE-WARNING: redefining ILISP-COMPILE in DEFUN

debugger invoked on condition of type SB-KERNEL:READER-PACKAGE-ERROR:
  READER-ERROR at 1428 on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM
                            for "file \"/usr/X11R6/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/l\isp/ilisp/cmulisp.lisp\""
                            {9196EDD}>:
package "LISP" not found

Within the debugger, you can type HELP for help. At any command prompt (within
the debugger or not) you can type (SB-EXT:QUIT) to terminate the SBCL

(I can't see any more of this message - see below)

(And in buffer *Warnings-Show*:)

(2) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error Variable binding depth exce\eds max-specpdl-size)

At this point XEmacs decides to hang, quite happily.  I've checked my system
and can find no package that could possibly be this "LISP" package thing -
does anybody know anything about it?  I'm assuming it has something to do
with a common SBCL package - does anybody else even use it?

I'd just use CMUCL, but unfortunately, the one site I know of with source and
binaries has been down for a month (the official FTP site at cons.org).  	If anybody knows of a mirror, I'd be appreciative.

-Steve
--
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein