[lug] XEmacs quoting madness!

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Aug 21 10:54:15 MDT 2001

> letting my mind wander, i see two things i'd change about this.
> first, i'd use scoping (let ...) to use shorter names (i like
> terseness!).  (having full namespaces available would be nice, too;
> see below.)
>
> second, i'd use function calls of some sort to handle the groups and
> possibly the quantifiers.  you already do this for creating charsets;
> i'd just suggest extending it for creating groups, and any other
> constructs that have to be "balanced". [1] it might also make the
> quantifiers a little more "readable", in a way:
<snip>

I agree with a lot of what you write, I need to re-read the rest to
understand it.  In fact I do the things above to some degree already.

If you (and this is open to others on the list) would like to pursue
the design and implementation of a regexp package for emacs (maybe it
could become language independent) then I would be interested in
taking part.  I am sure that we disagree enough to push a boundary or
two.

* we need to get off this list

* we need to be sure that it has not been done already

* no time pressure - it must be done as is convenient

* it will be a sizable task:
> and, for me, writing good interfaces is *hard* ...

* first task: specify objective and scope ...

dajo