[lug] RedHat 7.1 installation

Arlan Ramsay ramsay at euclid.Colorado.EDU
Tue Aug 21 12:17:36 MDT 2001

I wanted to install it in order to get an easy firewall.  The
installation seemed to go smoothly.  That program had no problems
with its graphics displays.  I was going to use Gnome.  I have
tried a text login and then run startx, and also a graphics login.
Both ways give me one screen with a small terminal window, no pager.
I don't know what window manager it is, but evidently not sawfish
or fvwmx, twm, or any others I recognize.

The second (or third) time I installed it, I was careful to specify
the exact video card (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000) and monitor (Viewsonic
A70).  These were working just fine under the RH6.0 or 6.2 that I had
before.

It seems unlikely but possible that my video card has a flaw.  What
else?  All advice gratefully recieved.  This is on my home machine.

Arlan Ramsay

Arlan Ramsay
Department of Mathematics
395 UCB