[lug] Still more XEmacs.

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Tue Aug 21 13:41:52 MDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:10:54PM -0600, Tkil wrote:

> Steve> XEmacs completely decides to ignore the site-init.el file,
> Steve> which I placed in what I thought would be the default location
> Steve> for it (/usr/X11R6/lib/xemacs-21.1.14/lisp/site-init.el), given
> Steve> that a file called site-load.el lives in the same directory.
> Steve> Surprise surprise, XEmacs loads neither of them on start!
> Steve> Considering that this is a (supposedly) carefully assembled
> Steve> package for Slackware, where should these files go?
>
> where did you get that X11R6 bit?  oh, that's probably where slackware
> puts it ... silly, since (despite its name) xemacs isn't dependent on
> X Windows.

I did find that pretty weird, but that seems sort of standard for Slackware.

> as for documentation on where to look, the lispref info file describes
> it in the node "(lispref)Start-up Summary".  they refer to loading
> libraries, which seems to imply that it looks through your load-path.
>
> you could also go outside of xemacs.  strace the xemacs startup and
> see what files it looks at.

Thanks.  Hopefully I can solve the problem going off of just that now.

> Steve> I'd just use CMUCL, but unfortunately, the one site I know of
> Steve> with source and binaries has been down for a month (the
> Steve> official FTP site at cons.org).  If anybody knows of a mirror,
> Steve> I'd be appreciative.
>
> well, the web site at cons.org seems to be up.  i did a google search
> for "cmucl ilisp mirror download" and it returned www.laas.fr, but
> then it redirected me to cons.org -- and it came up.  then again, i'm
> behind a caching proxy, so it might just have a very old copy.  no, it
> just worked fine.  is it just the FTP side that is broken?

It is, indeed, just the FTP.  Although cons.org seems to have been abandoned
since around late last month.

-Steve
--
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein