[lug] portable md5 function?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Aug 22 13:07:34 MDT 2001

Alan Robertson wrote:

> "D. Stimits" wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to find out if there is now a semi-portable (at least among
> > linux machines, probably UNIX in general) md5 sum function call
> > available. The original crypt() one-way hash does not use md5, but most
> > of the linux distro's now use md5 (or make it available) for passwords.
> > Is this possibly built into the libpam library? I'm trying to find a C
> > function call to do this, without invoking a "system()" call.
>
> Try this one.  It works for me ;-)
>
> http://cvs.linux-ha.org/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/linux-ha/lib/plugins/HBauth/md5.c?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain

I notice this one goes through a significant effort to be platform
independent in some ways (such as macro definition of UWORD32). Seems
there are a lot of choices available now, I hadn't realized so many
libraries were available, but you should see what happens when you do a
web search for "md5" (ouch).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com