[lug] How to get .htaccess to work with user directories?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue Aug 21 08:08:05 MDT 2001

I can get .htaccess files to password protect directories under my
document root tree, but for some reason they are ignored in user
directories. How do I fix this?

F'r instance, if I create a user account called hmc, and in
httpd.conf I set UserDir to /projects/*/www, and I put an .htaccess
file in /projects/hmc/www, setting AuthUserFile to
/projects/hmc/www/.htpasswd, the pages in that directory are served
right up without a challenge when a browser looks for
www.gisnet.com/~hmc. If I change the directory to one under my
DocumentRoot and copy these same files into that directory, it works
fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
- Bill Thoen